Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My favorite film adaptation was probably from a book called Eragon, the first of a series of 3 books written by Christopher Paolini. I read the book a long time ago and loved it, but forgot all the details. I think this is the reason i was able to enjoy the movie so much. I heard from other friends it skipped some details, but from my memory it followed the plot well. The director followed the book as closely as possible so the general plot was kept the same. Though it is hard to navigate a 400+ page book down into a 90 minute film, so some details did get left out. This book is about an egg, a dragon egg that will only open for its destine human. Sometimes it will even wait thousands of years. The egg falls in the hands of a farm boy who opens it. His destiny is to be a dragon rider and save his world from the tyrannical rule of Galbatorix. This book is another one of those stories depicting a normal boy becoming a hero, but I think the reason I enjoyed this story so much was because of how unique all the details were in making this boy great. I had never heard of a "dragon rider" before and in all other books dragons are always something feared by humans, not ridden. Then when the movie came out, it followed my memory of the book quite well (because of the fact that I forgot some of the details from the book) and depicted the story line as I had in my head. Now i am hoping they make a movie out of the other two of Paolini's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment