Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Close Reading

In my opinion, a close reading is something you read very closely and analyze. A close reading would not be something you could just skim over and pull out main points. For a close reading I feel like you have to sit down and read it a few times, think about it, and reread it again. Also, with a close reading since your analyzing I find it very helpful to highlight or take notes on the text. The purpose of a close reading I think is to analyze and pull out a few ideas highlighted in the text and support those ideas by the claims made in the text. Close readings make you pull out a lot more detail than you normally would. As I engage in close reading I've learned that I enjoy analyzing something and than writing about it. I feel like maybe i'm a little better at analyzing than I thought. I've also learned that in everyday reading I miss a lot of things in texts that I don't catch because I skim over it or read it to fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment