Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Close Readings Journal 2

I think of a close reading as a reading in which the reader analyzes a text to find a deeper meaning. A close reading requires the reader to look for meaning in the text that the author did not directly state. It is an exercise that forces the audience to think more deeply about what the author is truly trying to say. Close readings can have multiple purposes; a person can close read in order to further develop his or her comprehension skills, or an individual can do a close reading to better understand a text or work.

As I engaged in close readings for Inquiry 1, I realized numerous things about writing. One of the most important of these is that every textual work can be interpreted in different ways by different people. And all interpretations are legitimate if they are able to be supported by the text. Also, it appeared to me how we are all subconsciously affected by the author's words. For example, I was extremely influenced by the gender stereotypes in the movie Grease, however, I did not realized the effects the movie had on me until I did a close reading of the movie. When I do a close reading on a text, I am always shocked at the amount of information that I did not realize was in the text the first time I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment